Monday 12 November 2012

Pack Your Bags, We're Going to MacGIRLver's World.

Pin It
I have a few old suitcases in my stash of possibilities.  I have seen many different things to make with them, and herein lies the problem, which one do I choose.  If I had a hundred, it wouldn't be a problem because then I could try everything, but I only have a few.  It's like having a piece of fabric I love, if I use it, I won't have it anymore, so I keep it, even though it could look good made into so many different things.  Well, I decided it was time to sacrifice one of my many pieces of junk treasures and just give it a go.  


This is a small suitcase, I have the larger one that goes with it, which makes it even harder, because now I am breaking up a set.


I was in search of a small bar stool, but I didn't have one.  I did have this little side table that I picked up at a yard sale last year.


Have you guessed where I'm going with this yet? I taped off the leather and the metal parts.


Gave them both a few coats of Rustoleum's Heirloom White.


When I set the suitcase on the table I could see the edge of the table so I sliced it off with my scroll saw because it was the most accessible of our tools.


A little test run to see how it looks so far.


I can still hear my Mom's voice "pick your background, pick your background" whenever a camera came out in our house.  I think this background looks a little better than my messy sewing room in the last picture.


I didn't have a plan when I started, in fact it was hard to decide whether to spray the whole thing, or tape off the sections that I did.  I decided I could always spray it again if I didn't like the leather a metal look.  Johnny's cousin gave me this roll of ribbon so many years ago, probably 30, I use it sometimes when gift wrapping, but I thought it looked right for this project.


I just used a few glue dots in discreet places, I figure if they don't hold up (I'm new to the glue dot world) I can always hot glue it later.


So, what do you think, I kind of expect mixed reviews on this one, but me, I like it.









Shared at

 
Home Stories A2Z          
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I was appalled when you cut the edges off the table, but I should've known to trust you! I really love it beside the bed! Love your mom's advice! The best background (in my humble opinion) is the blue one! And in answer to your question of "Have you guessed where I'm going with this yet?" ARE YOU KIDDING??????? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I always LOVE your comments Susan, don't worry about the table top, it's just a little cheapie, not and valuable antique. I also love the fact that you actually read my ramblings, I can always tell by your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is really cute! You could also use it in a hallway, if you get tired of it in the bedroom. (or if, like me, you do something else for the bedroom, and run out of room in there). I have never used glue dots, but they sound like a great idea. Now, you just have to figure out what to do with the big one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra I just read your comment over at Better After regarding the deer hunters, I truly laughed out loud, you are hilarious!

    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is brilliant! I've never known of anyone to paint an old suitcase but it's fantastic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. first of all, that's such a neat piece, and secondly, i love your blog name! so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another very cool piece, you are quite talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this!!! It actually looks like it's smiling at you! Ha! Great job! I work part-time at a furniture store and we just got in a side table that looks like a suitcase, but it really isn't a suitcase. This is so much better! Stopping by via Debbiedoo's.
    http://www.the-finishing-touches.net/

    ReplyDelete
  9. So unique! This is fantastic Fay! I agree that it looks like it's smiling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the smiling one! I am new to your blog, having found you on the Newbie Party. Looking forward to reading more. You are very talented and did a terrific job:) Would love for you to visit me at Still Woods Farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am new to your blog. I love the suitcasetable!! i have been wanting to use old suitcases but could not come up with anything. Now I know!! I have a plant stand that i got ,like 33 years ago, yes i have used it just not for a plant. not i think i might just take a leap and do what you just did !
    thanks !!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...